Eldercare Support Service (ESS)
Caring for an elderly parent or parent-in-law can be stressful and demanding, especially if you have a job and other responsibilities. You may feel overwhelmed by the challenges of balancing work and care, and worried about the well-being of your loved one. That’s why our Group Income Protection policy includes access to our Eldercare Support Service (ESS), completely free of charge.
Caring is not only about providing physical support. It can include lots of things: being available on the phone; a lasting power of attorney role; being a taxi service – taking someone to appointments; advocacy roles; shopping; housework; cooking extra meals.
Generali’s ESS is an integrated programme of support, which takes into account all of these roles of a working carer and more. It is provided in partnership with leading experts Best Doctors by Teladoc Health, Morgan Ash, and Telus Health (formerly LifeWorks.)
Support for the Employee
- Confidential 24/7 support service, via phone or online: have an initial conversation to establish needs and then be directed to various experts as part of the service, from lawyers and independent financial advisers to accredited counsellors. Also, signposting to other relevant services from General UK and / or relevant local community services and self-help groups
- Bereavement counselling
- Personal debt management
- Wellbeing, health and care information (including mobility aids) from experts
- Navigation through the complexity of NHS and Social Services.
Support for the individual being cared for
All of the above, plus…
- Help with arranging a Power of Attorney
- Home-based assessment after an unplanned overnight stay in hospital. A review and written report from a registered Occupational Therapist or nurse experienced in eldercare. This is designed to help the person being cared for to cope once home, detailing any extra assistance needed and from where to access this help.
- NEW: Access to expert mental health support following an unplanned overnight stay in hospital. The person being cared for might be psychologically affected by the hospital stay, lacking in confidence, worried about mobility, or activities of daily living, or loss of dignity. This service combines an initial consultation with 50 minutes of therapy that can include recommendations as to the best next steps.
Accessing these services
For access and eligibility details relating to these services, please download the relevant leaflet from the selection below.
A dedicated website also provides advice, resources and professional support. Go to generali.lifeworks.com and sign-in using username and password generaliuk.